Whether you are a senior who is aging in place or you have a loved one with limited mobility, it doesn’t have to be an impossible task to turn your traditional bathroom into a fully accessible place in your home!
There are plenty of ways to update your bath—from small, cost-effective solutions to full remodeling options—so that you can enjoy years of independent bathing, without worrying about the risk.
Walk-In Tubs—the Ultimate in Comfort and Safety
Let’s face it—you can’t beat the luxury of sinking into a hot bath to unwind after a long day. The problem is, most bathtubs aren’t designed for easy use by someone who struggles to climb in and out of the tub. A walk-in bathtub can change that, and with today’s modern products, you won’t be sacrificing on style and luxury to get the safer bathtub that you need!
Installing a walk-in tub can enhance both the look and functionality of the bathroom with elements that include:
· Built-In Seating: You’ll never have to struggle with a sore back or slippery tub sides again! Built-in seating comes standard in walk-in tubs to give you the ultimate in convenience and relaxation while you enjoy your daily bath.
· Easy-Access Door: Instead of the risk of standard tub walls, walk-in bathtubs come with an easy-to-open door with a low-threshold and leak-proof construction—making it effortless to get in and out of the bathtub independently.
· Comfort Features: You want more than safety in the bathtub, you want comfort! Options like hydrotherapy jets and heated surfaces turn what would be a regular, old-fashioned bathtub into a complete spa-like experience.
· Easy Maintenance: Using the bathtub isn’t the only challenge for those with limited mobility; cleaning the tub is often a problem too. With the heavy-duty acrylic that comes with a Luxury Bath walk-in tub, you get superior strength and Microban protection against mold and mildew.
Turn Your Shower into a Safer Bath Feature
If bathing in a tub just isn’t your thing, you can still get an accessible bathroom through remodeling. Showers can be one of the easiest ways to get through your daily routine, and there are several options on the market today for low-threshold and barrier-free shower systems.
Not only do these showers allow for wheelchair access and improved safety, but you can further upgrade your shower system with accessories that include:
· Seating, including options for built-in benches and fold-down seats for small showers
· Handheld shower heads for easier bathing whether standing or sitting
· ADA-compliant grab bars that help you get the stability you need in the shower
Even if you aren’t ready for a complete shower remodel, installing a few cost-effective updates, like the ones above, can greatly improve the overall accessibility of your current bathroom.
Small Upgrades for a Big Impact on Accessibility
There is more to a bathroom than just the tub or shower! An accessible bathroom should be easy to use by all members of your family, whether they have full mobility or use a wheelchair, and there are plenty of ways to get the safety you’re looking for with budget-friendly updates:
· Toilets: There are several options out there to make the toilet more accessible. Installing stylish grab bars nearby is a smart decision, while raised toilet seats and pedestals can increase the height and make it easier for anyone to use.
· Light Switches: You might not think of your light switches as accessible, but it is the small details that can make all the difference in independence! Look for push-button switches or those with oversized toggles to make it easier for loved ones with stiff fingers or swollen joints.
· Faucets: Hands-free faucets are a simple solution for replacing hard-to-operate fixtures with an accessible design. If you would rather still have an on-and-off knob, look for a single-handle faucet that doesn’t require a lot of hand strength and twisting to use.
While you can DIY many of the upgrades to make your bathroom more accessible, it is best to turn to reputable bathroom remodeling companies when you need to make major improvements to your home.
Whether you’re looking for a walk-in tub, barrier-free shower, or a more accessible layout, Luxury Bath of Raleigh offers state-of-the-art products designed for safety, comfort, and performance. Just call today, and we’d be happy to provide you with a free quote for your accessible remodel!
Subscribe to Luxury Bath & Kitchens's Blog